Light Watercress Soup
Bring 1.5 litres of water to the boil, with salt. Add the greens or vegetable broth, and carrots and lemongrass leaf and simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots are tender. Remove the greens.
Add the watercress just before serving. Season with sugar, salt and pepper. Pour into warm bowls and garnish with creme fraiche and parsley.
This light soup is especially good for spring weight reduction. A special exotic effect is achieved with a single lemongrass leaf (available in Asian stores).
Let your imagination run wild: instead of the watercress, try using sorrel, or fresh herbs of your choice. Garden cress makes this soup milder, more gentle.
Source: “The delicious cuisine of Ayurveda” by Dr. Ernst Schrott and Cynthia Nina Bolen
Ingredients (4 persons)
- 1 bunch of fresh greens, or vegetable stock from the health food store
- 1/2 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 lemongrass leaf to taste
- 1 bunch watercress, stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar or Sharkara
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons creme fraiche
- bunch of parsley, chopped