The strength is found in serenity
As the combination of earth and water elements, Kapha represents above all structure and stability. In Kapha types, this is reflected in equal measure on a physical and spiritual level. They are often appreciated for their robustness, serenity, composure and endurance. This is also displayed through their generally calm movements and their tendency to sleep well, if sometimes a little too much.
Strong physical build
Kapha types generally have a solid, heavy build with strong joints. Their bodies appear robust and sturdy thanks to their well-developed muscles and plentiful fat tissue. Their face and general body shape tend to be round and they typically have full lips and large eyes.
Thick hair & youthful appearance
Kapha types usually have full, thick hair. Their skin (and scalp) has a tendency to be oily. The Kapha dosha tends to produce fewer wrinkles, maintaining a youthful appearance for many years.
Metabolism & digestion
Kapha types tend to have weak Agni (see note). At the same time, as epicures, they like to eat often and enjoy large quantities and sweet foods. This can lead to unwanted weight gain, particularly during periods of stress.
Flavours though mouth and nose
Smell and taste are particularly important for Kapha types. They often like to cook and, conversely, enjoy good food.
Calm & level-headed – even during periods of crisis
Kapha types are solid as a rock and keep their cool even during stormy periods. They also possess the energy reserves, patience and endurance required to remain on the ball when things get difficult. They are more resilient than other constitution types and approach their tasks methodically and level-headedly. In contrast to Pitta types, people with a Kapha constitution take things as they come and do not give up easily.
Professions in which Kapha types can realise their talents
Thanks to their patience, endurance and perseverance, Kapha types possess all the ammunition required to deal with long-term projects, routine work of all kinds and large mountains of files. If things get difficult, their serenity helps them to keep going unperturbed. Their talents come into full play when they have something to organise or plan. Thanks to their sense of aesthetics and their empathy, Kapha types are often at home in creative professions, such as architecture, as well as in caring professions.
Possible downside of excess Kapha
Excess Kapha can lead to a certain slowness, idleness and sometimes also sadness and listlessness. Kapha types tend to find it difficult to let go. On a physical level, this can manifest itself as excess weight or slow digestion. The skin may have a tendency to be oily leading to possible allergies and infection.
Being kind to yourself – 10 Ayurveda tips for the Kapha type
- Nutrition: people with high Kapha proportion should not eat too much or too often. Fasting has been found to be particularly beneficial for Kapha types.
- The right food: cooked, low-fat, light foods are ideal.
- The right spices: in terms of spices, Kapha types should opt for hot, bitter, pungent or astringent flavours. Suitable spices include pepper, ginger and Kapha Churna.
- Drinking: hot drinks such as hot ginger tea and hot ginger water are perfect for this Ayurvedic type.
- Fragrances: bitter, pungent, spicy, hot, warming fragrances balance out excess Kapha. Aroma oils containing juniper, eucalyptus, ginger, camphor, cloves and marjoram are particularly suitable as room fragrances.
- Colours: bright, lively, clear colours support the dosha balance of Kapha types particularly well.
- Dry massages: people with a high Kapha proportion respond particularly well to dry massages with a Garshan massage glove.
- Sleep: even though they like to sleep longer, Kapha types should get up early whenever they can, i.e. if possible before 6 a.m.
- Daily rhythm and movement: are you a Kapha type? Then add some zest into your daily routine! Whether you choose to cycle to work, regularly use the stairs rather than the lift or escalator or take part in active leisure activities: as a Kapha type you should make sure that you get enough exercise, particularly during the morning Kapha phase (6 a.m. – 10 a.m.). Avoiding snacks between meals and eating foods to support your dosha will help to combat excess weight. The main meal of the day should be at lunchtime.
- Leisure: saunas and stimulating intellectual activities are particularly recommended.
You can find further tips on the best nutrition to suit your type in our article entitled “Ayurveda tips on nutrition and diet”.
Schrott, Ernst; Schachinger, Wolfgang: Ayurveda. Grundlagen und Anwendungen. 3. Aufl. 2016, Trias-Verlag (German only)
Bauhofer, Ulrich: Mehr Energie. Wie wir in Balance leben. 2020, Südwest-Verlag (German only)